SIOP Feature #9: Emphasize Key Vocabulary for Students
Beginning the lesson by highlighting key terms that students need to know sets the tone for the class and helps students focus their attention on vocabulary. There are a number of ways that teachers can help students interact with key aspects of language from the start of the lesson. Teachers need to introduce students to four aspects of vocabulary in order to lead them towards ownership. The four components of vocabulary are:
- Form = what the word looks like
- Usage = how the word is used
- Meaning = what the word means
- Pronunciation = how the word sounds
TESOL Trainers' approach to vocabulary acquisition will transform the way your teachers and students work with vocabulary.
Why should we emphasize key vocabulary for students?
There are four benefits to working with key vocabulary at the start of a lesson.
TESOL Trainers Vocabulary PD
TESOL Trainers provides one day and multiple day professional development on vocabulary acquisition. Here are some highlights:
- Teachers understand the four aspects of vocabulary: Form, Usage, Meaning, Pronuncation.
- Teachers develop 10 strategies for getting student to move from renting to owning vocabulary.
- Teachers practice strategies to help students pronounce language more confidently and competently.
- Teachers experience model lessons in which vocabulary is taught in the context of the class, highlighting key strategies.
- Teachers create lessons and plans for integrating the content of the PD in their contexts.