Principles and Practices of SIOP II - March 30, 2022
The Principles and Practices of SIOP II provides participants with an advanced look at the SIOP framework and how it can support teachers in planning, teaching, and reflecting on learning. Through using a series of model lessons, this remote professional development helps teachers examine the 8 components of SIOP and the 30 features that comprise the framework.
This remote professional development workshop meets for one full day from 8am-3:00pm (Mountain Time). There is a lunch break from 11:15-12:00. At the end of the PD, all participants will be given a set of materials that detail the content of the PD and how to implement the strategies in the K12 context.
Principles and Practices of SIOP II
In addition to reexamining SIOP's 8 components and 30 features, here are a few of the themes that are explored:
- Creating language and content objectives
- Strategies to build background
- Techniques that make content comprehensible
- Using the Gradual Release of Responsibility to scaffold learning
- Ways to encourage meaningful student to student interactions
- Tips on maximizing student learning opportunities
- Strategies and techniques that engage all students all of the time
- Using self-assessments to increase learner responsibility and autonomy