The Principles and Practices of Teaching Vocabulary - March 29, 2022
The Principles and Practices of Teaching Vocabulary is a powerful look at what vocabulary teaching and learning are all about. This PD examines what it means to learn vocabulary and how that informs us on the way vocabulary should be taught. By looking at model lessons, participating teachers discover the four components of vocabulary and learn ways to get students to interact with vocabulary in meaningful ways. Participants experience 15 strategies to practice vocabulary in any context. Participants end the PD by exploring ways to integrate their learnings into the classroom context.
This remote professional development workshop meets for one full day from 8am-3:00pm (Mountain Time). There is a lunch break from 11:15-12:00. At the end of the PD, all participants will be given a set of materials that detail the content of the PD and how to implement the strategies in the K12 context.
The Principles and Practices of Teaching Vocabulary
- Understand the four components of vocabulary
- Develop 15 strategies to help students interact with vocabulary in meaningful ways
- Boost student confidence by supporting student pronunciation of words and phrases
- Increase the opportunities that students get to use vocabulary terms
- Gain 8 strategies of teaching vocabulary to students
- Understand the connection that oral language development has with vocabulary development
- Help students assess their own vocabulary usage and understanding
- Develop techniques that help teachers design and delivery lessons that have a clear vocabulary focus
- Move students from vocabulary renters to vocabulary owners